Saturday, March 2, 2013

Generation Y

Generation Y, also known as the "lost" generation, refers to people who were born between 1980 and 2001.  Although those dates are different based on who you talk to, for the purpose of this blog it will be for people born between those years.  Generation Y has been facing many new challenges that their parents did not.  These young adults are facing high unemployment rates even though they are more educated than generations before them.

There have been articles published on the "skill" gap for Generation Y but it is more a problem of a "job" gap.  The current economy is putting out more entry-level, minimum wage jobs that most Generation Y'ers are over qualified for.  As we wait for the Baby Boomers who are now reaching retirement age, to step down from their positions, there is a lack of jobs for those who have a degree.  Many people say that this unemployment is due to Gen-Y's lack of enthusiasm for working.  There are jobs available but it requires relocating for many.  This will not be possible if the job only pays minimum wage where many Gen-Yers will have to move out on their own.  Another increasing trend for Generation Y is that they are living longer with their parents or never moving out at all.

As a member of Generation Y, I have experienced this frustration first hand.  I have a Bachelors degree in Business and am working on a Masters degree in Adult Education and Organizational Development.  I have international working experience and speak five languages.  Since returning to America in August of 2012, I have applied to too many jobs to remember.  I have applied to jobs that I'm overqualified for, jobs that matched my experiences perfectly, and jobs that required more experience than I have.  I am currently employed but at a job that I am overqualified and underpaid for.  It's been frustrating.

This blog is going to document my job search.  I will be posting links to articles that apply to Generation Y and the "job" gap.  I will tell you about the jobs I apply for and how long it takes to hear back from the companies.  This is going to be a place for other members of Generation Y to share their experiences and advice.  So for those of you out there who know what I'm talking about and are as frustrated as I am, let's not give up hope yet.  Let's show them that we will not be lost for long.  We are here and we will be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment